Monday, June 27, 2011

I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy

photo of fireworks over rockaway beach oregon
Admittedly, I haven't been a huge fan of fireworks. Yes, they are nice to look at, but I get no real "can't live without it" feeling. Then last year, Holiday Bob made me walk the whole four blocks down to the beach to see what the Rockaway Fire Department had been working on all day.

From the first boom, which nearly stopped my heart, to the sparkling stars which rained down around me, I was a believer. There is nothing like sitting right under those majestic, brilliant sparklers. All of your senses are involved instead of just your eyes when you watch them from a distance. I was oohhing and aahhing with the rest of the crowd, chanting for more...please!

If you haven't experienced a Fourth of July Fireworks show up close and personal, may I recommend grabbing a blanket, laying back in the sand and watching with childlike wonder.


Photo courtesy of the Rockaway Beach Fire Department site.

No comments:

Post a Comment