Friday, September 28, 2012

Won't You be My Neighbor?


That's the face I saw when opening the blinds today.  This little lady was all nestled in and her two fawns were romping around the yard eating the heads off of the dandelions (A win-win for this gardener).

She stayed for a few hours, wandering off at some point.  There were quite a few deer roaming around our neighborhood this afternoon.  I finally realized it is hunting season and they have come down from the mountains to avoid the camo-wearing, scope-carrying, manly men who are stalking them.

Not too much later, I was sitting quietly reading my book in the garden sun when the wrens arrived.  A whole band (at least 30) of the crazy guys perched on the fence and looked down at the empty bird bath and then back at me.  Repeatedly.  They made enough of a racket, that I was forced to close my book.  Knowing they had my full attention, they kept squawking and pointing to the birdbath with their little beaks.  Enough with the nagging already, I jumped up and filled the bowl.  The noise stopped and the splashing started.

Now, the sun is going down and the harvest moon is rising.  Bats are zooming around the corner of the house past the picture windows.  In case you couldn't tell, I love my neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment