Friday, May 10, 2013

Mermaid Lessons


I wasn't the first mermaid in the family, that honor goes to my grandmother.  Grandma Mimi loved swimming, floating, wading and pretty much any excuse for being in the water. 

She would wade out in the Columbia River and toes up, start floating downstream.  The huge smile on her face could be seen from the shore.  She waved at me as she drifted away.  I knew right then, I wanted to be just like her.  From time to time, she would worry my grandfather as he would lose sight of her.  She always came swimming back up river though, without a care in the world.  Water makes me feel that way too.

I still have her beach bag, it is packed just as she left it, ready for an outing.  It's funny the things you hang on to, the things that remind you of loved ones, the things you will never part with.  How lucky I am to have a mermaid's bag full of treasure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment