Saturday, February 16, 2013

Can You Smell Color?

When I recently saw a photo of a piece of Bazooka Bubble Gum, I immediately tasted its flavor.  How strange.  Then as I watched, my other senses were triggered right down to feeling the "dust" on the gum after it was unwrapped (if you are a child of the 50s or 60s, you know what I am talking about).

How amazing is this human body that can have such an sensory experience from just a visual?  How lucky we are to have such a complex tool to explore our world.  There is not a piece of technology invented that can match it. 

Since then, I have been playing with colors in the same way and thought you might want to play along.

Close your eyes and visualize the color green.  Once you have it in mind, smell it, taste it, touch it.  Marvel at the sensations. 

This is where my mind goes each time I think green.  I can smell the dark green of the Earth, feel the softness of the moss, experience the strong taste of plants, and hear the quiet of the forest.


Take some time to explore other colors as well...

Blue
Purple
Yellow
Red 
Pink

Even white is a fascinating exploration as I can smell the fresh linen sheets, feel their warmth from hanging outside in the sun.  My taste sensation goes directly to the crisp white frosting that topped the cakes when I was a child.

I give thanks for this incredible experience called Life.


No comments:

Post a Comment