Friday, October 5, 2012

Sometimes You're the Windshield, Sometimes You're the Bug!

Today, I offer no photos, because what I am about to describe isn't pretty.

My trip over the Coast Range last evening coincided with dusk and a large "Salmon Fly Hatch" along the Wilson River.  If you have never seen a salmon fly, think smallish version of a dragonfly but drunk...really, really drunk.  The most awkward pilots of all insects, they fly in huge dips, loops and waves without much forward progress at all.  If you were trying to get out of the way of an oncoming salmon fly it would be tough, because you just can't logically forecast where they are headed next.

They did, however, have pinpoint accuracy for my car window. The wipers swished and swashed my window clean all through the trip and still I ended up with a windshield full of bug juice when I got home.  I was outnumbered.  They must have had it in for me personally, because the passenger's side was nice and clean.

Perhaps they were after the fly-fisherman in the car behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment