Friday, February 24, 2012

When I Grow Up...

My dream career as a child was to be a marine biologist.  I could imagine poking through tide pools all day long and getting paid for it.  What could be better?  Then I discovered I might have to go out into the ocean, on a boat, when the seas weren't calm, and I would most likely throw up.  Check that off the list....next.

My dream career then became a Pan Am stewardess (Hey, it was the sixties. They had great uniforms and that cool bag).   Not too much later I decided that flying around in turbulence, serving cocktails to frisky businessmen, wasn't the way to go either.  Next...

Seamstress for the band moved to the top of my list (The song "Tiny Dancer" must have been popular).  While working at the fabric shop about the same time, I had the opportunity to do some sewing for the local drag queen community.  Their bodies were not designed for the Vogue patterns they loved, so I altered the patterns and made fabulous gowns. Sewing is a hard way to earn a living, I gave up the dream.  Next...

Architect, because I fancied myself sitting behind a drafting table in a hip loft space and telling people at dinner parties about my profession.  Then my research suggested it was more about pleasing fussy clients who need closets the size of most apartments and knowing how much weight a wall could bear.  Next...

Waitress in a small town diner serving coffee and flap jacks to the locals.  Note: this career fantasy also requires me to be beautiful in a pink uniform, have a heart of gold, and a name badge that reads "LaVerne."  I call this a fantasy because I imagine when I take off my apron at the end of a shift, I am through thinking about work for the day with not a care in the world. What a luxury.

My business (love it as I do) stays with me in the evenings and as I toss and turn at night.  So I refuse to give up this fantasy and perhaps, one particularly bad day, I will walk away from it all.  You'll know where to find me, serving coffee to the local fishermen at The Cow Belle Cafe.  Just ask for LaVerne.


No comments:

Post a Comment